The socialist reformers and radicals of the 1870s spread the word not only through public meetings but also through a series of newspapers published in Chicago and other cities, expressing a range of opinions in a variety of languages. The Socialist was the English-language paper of the Socialistic Labor Party in Chicago. First published in September of 1878, with Albert Parsons as assistant editor, it ceased publication a year later. The failure of the paper was attributable in part to the decline of the party. Most of the front page is devoted to continuing labor agitation for reduced hours without reduced pay.