Much to the disappointment of the police, none of their dozens of searches and raids uncovered Albert Parsons, whom they had regarded with deep suspicion since the mid-1870s. A $5000 reward also failed to produce results. Rumors had him fleeing in several different directions, including out of the country. Parsons was in fact hiding in Waukesha, Wisconsin, where he is pictured here.

Parsons did not go to Waukesha directly. At the moment of the bombing, Parsons and his family were in the saloon of Zepf's Hall, on the northeast corner of Desplaines and Lake Streets. Lucy Parsons was at a table with Lizzie Holmes, while Albert Parsons was with fellow American Group member Thomas Brown. They had all had come to the Haymarket from the American Group meeting earlier that evening at the Arbeiter-Zeitung building.

After leaving Zepf's Hall shortly after the bombing, Parsons intended to return home, but Lizzie Holmes advised him that the police would be looking for him. She talked him into taking a train that evening to her and her husband William's home in the town of Geneva, about thirty miles west of Chicago. At the trial, Brown said that Parsons asked for his advice. Brown replied, "Suit yourself, you are your own boss." Parsons then decided to leave town, and Brown gave him the considerable sum of five dollars. Brown stayed in Chicago, was arrested on May 8, and was still in jail at the time he testified on August 5.

Parsons stayed three days with William Holmes. The fugitive then made his way by train to Waukesha, some twenty miles west of Milwaukee, where he arrived on May 10. He remained for the next six weeks in the home of a friend named Daniel Hoan, who gave him the clothes in which he is depicted here. Parsons, who had previously shaved off his moustache to disguise his appearance, now grew it back, along with a beard. Since he ceased dying his hair, however, the new growth came in gray, adding to his disguise. Parsons worked for the next six weeks in Hoan's pump factory, also doing some carpentry. Rather than lay low, he joined in the life of the town under the pseudonym of Jackson.

Parsons remained in Waukesha until he returned to Chicago to turn himself in on the first day of the trial, June 21, 1886, the day after his thirty-eighth birthday. Parsons remained in the Cook County jail until he left—in a coffin—following his execution on November 11, 1887.