Click on each of these images to see them in larger and more legible form in a separate window.

In his article on the Haymarket case published in 1893, Judge Gary began with a description of the throng of people who blocked the street in front of the courthouse on the morning of Friday, August 20, in anticipation of the verdict. If this verdict was guilty, by Illinois law the jury also fixed the penalty. Elsewhere in the city, the police remained on guard in case of trouble. The jury reached a verdict after only a few hours of deliberation the previous afternoon and evening. At about 7:30 p.m. they returned to their rooms in the Revere House.

The following morning the jurors walked in somber silence back to the courthouse, where admission was restricted to all but reporters, relatives, and friends. Foreman Frank Osborne handed the clerk two verdicts, both written in juryman James Cole's handwriting on a sheet of plain ruled paper and signed by all twelve men.

In the verdict on the left, the members of the jury find Oscar Neebe, against whom the defense had tried to have charges dismissed because the evidence was so insubstantial, guilty of murder "in manner and form as changed in the indictment," and sentenced him to fifteen years in prison. Mayor Harrison later revealed that State's Attorney Julius Grinnell had admitted to him that he did not have the evidence to convict Neebe, but Grinnell did not drop the charges against Neebe because of his concern that it would weaken his case against the others.

In the verdict on the right, the jurors find August Spies, Michael Schwab, Samuel Fielden, Albert Parsons, Adolph Fischer, George Engel, and Louis Lingg guilty of the same crime, and fix the penalty at death.

As Gary recalled, when the latter verdict was read, Michael Schwab's wife Maria, "a tall and graceful woman of a pure pink-and-white complexion, . . . fell screaming into the arms of the women around her." The defense counsel demanded that the jury be polled, and the twelve men affirmed their decision. Black then called for a new trial. Albert Parsons, situated near the window, waved his red handkerchief to the crowd on the street below and pantomimed having a noose around his neck and being hanged.

This crowd, the rest of Chicago, and virtually the entire country cheered. The headline in the Chicago Daily News that afternoon was brief and to the point: "THEY HANG." The Chicago Tribune, which in May had called the bombing "A HELLISH DEED," now crowed, "NOOSES FOR THE REDS."

In an editorial, the Tribune stated that "[t]he most gratifying feature of the outcome of this notable trial is its vindication of the power and majesty of law," and that the verdict was "tantamount to a declaration that American law is powerful enough to protect society against the conspiracies of organized foreign assasins [sic] and to insure the blessings of a good and free government to all classes of people." The paper called for a special fund to reward the twelve brave men who had delivered the verdict. There were very few protests of any kind at the time about either the conduct or outcome of the trial.