|Click on the individual smaller images to select the main image.
As the riot ebbed, the police carried their wounded back to the Desplaines Street Police Station, where they had formed ranks only briefly before. They summoned several physicians, who treated the injured as best they could, transferring the most seriously wounded men to the County Hospital. Close to seventy officers, over a third of the approximately 175 men who had advanced on the Haymarket, were killed or wounded, most of them, in all likelihood, by their own gunfire. For the official police reports on casualties and testimony at the trial on the wounded, see the "From the Archive" section of this Act.
The first image is an engraving from John J. Flinn's History of the Chicago Police. A crowd watches as officers carry their wounded into the Desplaines Street entrance. The second image is a 1906 photograph of the Desplaines Street station and Waldo Place from the same angle. The third image is from the Graphic News of May 15, 1886. It shows physicians and fellow officers caring for the wounded men. The scene resembles an army hospital after a battle.
A parking lot now occupies the site of the Desplaines Street station. Bonfield lined up his men just south of the building, on Waldo Place. Just to the north of where the police station stood is the Catholic Charities building, on the southwest corner of Desplaines and Randolph Streets.